Chickpeas are seriously my jam – it’s impossible to go wrong when they’re involved in any food. This egg in a chickpea-spinach basket is super easy, takes all of about 10 minutes from start to scarfing it down, and is a healthy dose of protein to boot. The mashed chickpeas get a little crunchy on the bottom, which was my favorite part. They say breakfast is the most important meal, and I may start being more inclined to actually eat it now that I’ve discovered this version. Big props to Kitchen Treaty for the recipe!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil + 1 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups baby spinach
- A pinch each of kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, and paprika
- 1/2 cup cooked/canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 1 egg
- Sriracha (optional)
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add the spinach along with a pinch of salt and pepper and saute, stirring occasionally, until wilted, about 1 minute.
- Add the chickpeas and carefully smash them with a fork while combining the ingredients. Sprinkle paprika over the resulting mixture.
- With a wooden spoon, shape the mixture into a “wreath” with a hole in the middle. Drizzle the remaining teaspoon of olive oil into the hole, and then crack the egg into the hole.
- Cover pan with a lid and cook until egg has cooked through to desired done-ness (for me, it took about 5 minutes for the whites to fully cook, but timing will depend on your stove).
- Use a large spatula to transfer the egg and “nest” to a plate. Some of the edges of the nest may fall off; just put it back into position on the plate. Alternatively, just eat it straight out of the pan!
- Top egg with a little additional salt and pepper, if desired, and squeeze some Sriracha chili sauce over the top. Serve immediately.
Did you like this recipe? Like Aching for a Baking on Facebook!