So I’m cheating a bit putting up a recipe AFTER I’ve watched this week’s Game of Thrones, but I didn’t have time in advance and after seeing it I couldn’t help but make something dragon eye-themed. Monday Night’s Watch was a bit of a frustrating experience this week, with a fair amount of scoffing at the screen about the worst plan ever unfolding in a predictably disastrous way. These cookies should help ease the pain a bit – sweet and chewy with a lemony icing top, they’ll look right into your soul and convince you you’re a Targaryen heir.
I’ll freely admit that the elaborately decorated cookie in featured as the cover of this post was the only one I decorated quite to elaborately, in part because to do that I used a whole tube of black writing gel. Others looked like this:
At first I’d planned to remove the lids on both sides to just leave the eyeballs themselves, but I like them better this way – I think they look more dragon-y. Anyway, without further ado, here’s the sugar cookie recipe as found on Add a Pinch along with my Game of Thronesy modifications:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup granulated sugar for rolling cookies
For the lemon icing
- 100g/3½oz/about a cup of powdered/icing sugar
- 4 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Red/blue food coloring
- Black/red edible writing gel (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat.
- Cream together butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg and mix until well-combined.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, salt, and vanilla.
- Scoop cookie dough by the tablespoon full and roll into a ball.
- Add granulated sugar to a large bowl for rolling cookie dough in before baking. Place each ball of cookie dough into the bowl of granulated sugar and roll to coat well. Place cookie dough onto baking sheet, spacing about 1½-inches to 2 inches apart. Lightly press each cookie down and shape it into an eye/American football shape.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool on a wire rack while making the icing.
- In a bowl, mix the powdered sugar and lemon juice and mix well, then add your red (or blue, if you want to go with more of a White Walker look) food coloring a drop or two at a time until you have your color of choice.
- With a butter knife, cut a cat’s eye shape into each cookie without fully separating the inner eye from the lids. Paint a circular iris onto the eyeball portion with the dyed icing, then a vertical pupil with the black writing gel. Repeat with the other cookies. If you want to get crazy, you can do as much or as little more decorating with the cookies as you want – whatever makes you happiest. Serve, preferably with a Game of Thrones episode queued up.
Did you like this recipe? Like Aching for a Baking on Facebook to get others like it in your news feed!